Disclaimer

The views expressed by me on this blog are mine alone at the time of posting and do not necessarily reflect the views of any organization with which I am associated.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Why I Will Never Work In Washington Again

When I worked at the CEA, and before I realized how easy sites like blogger.com make it to set up a weblog, I used to say that when I got back to Dartmouth, I would post a webpage with the title of this post. If I could have a subtitle for it, it would be "It's Not Because I Wouldn't Go If Asked." The implication is that I would probably do something to disqualify myself from consideration for any job for which my past experience might make me suitable.



That web page would be the disqualifier in my "past." The page would simply explain all of the policies that I would like to see enacted, and since there is no free lunch in economics, each policy would invariably offend one special interest group or another. What I wrote would be taken out of context, wadded up into a partisan spitball, shot across the room at a confirmation hearing (or earlier at an internal vetting session), and that would be the end of it.



So as I promised in my last post, I will tell you in the next few posts how I would restore solvency to Social Security, and in the process, keep myself off of Washington short lists for quite a long time.

No comments: